from ¡ay chihuahua! to southeast asia

Sunday, August 27, 2006

blackout

have you ever been sitting in an internet cafe, in an urban area, at night, when the power went out? i have. and i was in the middle of my lengthy recap of my weekend spent with my lady friends. with no draft saved. so now i am annoyed and convinced the computer gods are against me, so will save it for later.

the electricity situation here has become unpredictable at best... the power goes out so regularly that, well, at this point it's almost predictable in that way. this evening, following a typically nasty storm, the lights at my house were flickering on and off before going off entirely. rather than sit at home in the dark, i headed to coyoacán's plaza, convinced that the weekend market and all of the businesses in the center part of town would be putting their generators to the test. and indeed they were... you would never even have known the power was out. maybe the generators stole all the juice, thus the dramatic blackout. everything shut down for a few dramatic moments. i looked out the front of my internet spot and couldn't see a thing aside from a car's headlights. it was pretty surreal and i was transported back to the scariest ghost story moments of the sleepovers of my youth. for second, i thought it was pretty neat... until i realized that my lovingly crafted post was lost to cyberspace forever. so i will start again tomorrow.

until then, buenas noches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home