from ¡ay chihuahua! to southeast asia

Monday, June 26, 2006

viveros

yesterday evening i went to the park - or, really more like a botanical garden - near my house... it's called viveros de coyoacán and it's about a 10 minute walk from home. i have been thinking that i should get back into the habit of running since, frankly, i have quite a bit of time on my hands. i had been there once before to go for a walk, and had taken in that there were a number of runners, both men and women. so late yesterday afternoon i suited up in my running shorts and sleeveless shirt and set out to wrap up my weekend with a little sweat.

it could have been my imagination, but i seemed to get an inordinate number of stares. i started to pay attention to what other women joggers were wearing... some were wearing tank tops with pants, others were wearing shorts with long-sleeved shirts. i did appear to be the only woman showing so much skin. so maybe it's an either-or sort of situation... arms or legs but never both! i also took note of the fact that not many of the "runners" were sweating... they were all going so slow that there didn't appear to be too much physical exertion going on. so i have decided that it was more likely my very red (thanks to the gehard genes) sweaty face that was attracting all the attention.

and i have to point out that there was a tall, lanky man running in JEANS and a STRAW HAT who seemed to be getting less notice than me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the Golden Girls will chip in for a treadmill.

Love the pictures. How about a mailing address?

Boz

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nat! you are brilliant! this is great. i will read every day now so don't poop out on us. maybe i'll try to sell some of my eggs or something so i can get down there and see this. how fantastic that you are there during world cup! love you gorgeous! tell those mexican men to keep dreaming! mwah!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running in jeans? Strange. Second only to those crazy jeans Skiers!

ahg

10:37 PM  
Blogger Subarna Mathes said...

funny how those of us broad (no matter where we are), be it Mexico or India will have shared some very common experiences. I've been to India several times and know that if I'm going to be walking on the streets, I will be dressed to show as little skin as possible. But even I (being Indian-American) get stares from both women and men (Indian men don't whistle). They can pick me out a mile away. Its nice to know that we'll have these stories to share and identify with. ...

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your red sweaty face! You make me laugh.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home